Weekend Reports - a Diary
Every week people in the Lone Star Gang exchange
e-mail describing their weekend activities. Here are some of the stories I have written. The
ones with more work put into them are marked like this.
- March 30 2023 - My comments on Monica Anderson's Bubble City Design Proposal.
- December 30 2020 - Real Count™ word counter supposedly weekend project.
- November 15 2020 - Salvaging and Printing Paperclip64 Word Processing Files from the Commodore 64.
- October 21 2020 - STARDOS forgotten circuit board found inside a 1541 floppy disk drive.
- April 18 2020 - Short essay on Measuring the Size of a Story.
- January 18 2020 - Wrapped up writing The Story Points Ethical Calculus. It's yet another philosophical ethics system for the meaning for life, the universe and everything. Didn't quite finish it since there are too many other interesting things to do. Still it could be useful as a robot religion (evaluates to a numerical answer) or for people that can't do blind faith (none required).
- February 1 2019 - A Less Dystopian Reputation System.
- August 25 2018 - A memorial to a cracked Disney Winnie the Pooh glass.
- August 12 2018 - Tips for setting up Hairpin NAT Reflection on an ASUS RT-AC86u router.
- March 9 2013 - Tips for installing BeOS R5.0.3 Pro in VirtualBox 4.2.8.
- November 30 2012 - Tips for installing Haiku OS Release 1 Alpha 4 in VirtualBox.
- October 31 2009 - Halloween only had 60 visitors, even on a Saturday with good weather.
- October 14 2009 - Ottawa International Animation Festival, saw all 6 new feature films, stayed up very late one night for Teletoon pilot shows (some never became series), lots of other good stuff (Wallace and Gromit AMOLD being tops of a huge heap).
- October 11 2009 - Thanksgiving dinner at girlfriend's place.
- September 2009 - Taking care of a sick mom with a pinched nerve and twisted leg.
- September 11 2009 - BBQ at Jimmy's with lots of ex-Artechees.
- September 4 2009 - Trip via Toronto (Air and Space museum!) to Niagara Falls NY for an acquaintance's wedding.
- August 2009 - A whole month at the cottage! Propane tank and fire fighters adventure, hot weather hospital adventure, swimming, rain, lots of guests, lots of photos.
- March 28 2009 - Trip to Wheeler's Maple Syrup farm.
- September 22 2008 - Ottawa International Animation Festival.
- June 19 2008 - A list of the Ottawa Fringe Festival shows I've seen and a few comments.
- March 7 2008 - Review of Orpheus's production of the musical Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- November 6 2007 - Still horribly backlogged after a year's adventure with
my girlfriend. I'd love to write about and show photos for last year's Shaw
Festival trip, this March's two week trip to London and Edinburgh (five
plays, dozens of exploratory expeditions, a coincidental once in 300 years
parade, almost 4000 photos), the Fringe Festival (39 or 40 plays, I'd have to
check my notes and ticket stubs), several Dorval Island visits, the 2007
Animation Festival, numerous parties, many more plays (including the first
play at the GCTC's new Irving Greenberg theatre, Ottawa Little Theatre plays,
Orpheus plays and a few others like Wingfield Inferno). Sigh. And you can
add the Las Vegas trip to that too! Too much to do and not enough time.
- September 14 2006 - Trip to Shaw Festival. Didn't have time to finish a web page report for it.
- July 24 2006 - Fringe Festival summary, Dorval Island Vacation, Pirates of the Caribbean, New Suit.
- June 19 2006 - Fringe Festival in Progress.
- April 9 2006 - Online dating escapades, Ice Age 2 film review.
- December 5 2005 - Stones in his Pockets play, Pride and Prejudice film, Artech Curling Party.
- September 26 2005 - Ottawa International Animation Festival 2005.
- June 6 2005 - Hockey Night on Hinton Avenue, Britannia Water Purification Plant.
- April 16 2005 - Evil Zedric visits Ottawa for Lunch at Lone Star.
- February 20 2005 - The Real Inspector Hound play review.
- January 30 2005 - The House of Flying Daggers film review.
- January 22 2005 - Hot water heater leak and Provenance saucy puppet show review.
- November 14 2004 - The Incredibles film review.
- September 27 2004 - Ottawa International Animation Festival - My favorite cartoons, workshops and lectures.
- September 20 2004 - Visit to Dorval Island, with photos and sounds.
- August 29 2004 - Stumbling block, gashed eye, file systems, and phone problems.
- July 25 2004 - Sand Banks Park near Belleville, Painting the Front Wooden Steps.
- June 24 2004 - Reviews of Theatrical Plays at the Ottawa Fringe Festival.
- April 25 2004 - Diefenbunker tour.
- September 20 2003 - Canon PowerShot A70 Camera and Installing New Hardware.
- August 26 2003 - Winged Migration film review, groundhog, stairs, AGMSFileSystemPacker progress.
- June 15 2003 - The Matrix Reloaded film review.
- May 28 2003 - Air Conditioner Maintenance Tips.
- March 11 2003 - Toronto Trip: visiting relatives, GloranthaCon VIII (The Making of King of Dragon Pass, The Birth of the Goddess LARP (The Neek Teslo Story)).
- January 11 2003 - Space Station, Die Another Day, Project Status Reports.
- November 9 2002 - Ottawa Amiga Show and the AmigaOne PPC Computer.
- October 26 2002 - Shaw Festival trip, in best first order: Hay Fever (fun), Caesar and Cleopatra (Shawish ideas, Iraq upcoming war resonance), Merrily We Roll Along (nice music, backwards time plot), Candida (others liked it, I got disconnected and sleepy).
- October 11 2002 - Ottawa International Animation Festival.
- May 26 2002 - Lemieux Island Water Works, Fleet Street Pumping Station, Metropolis Movie anime.
- May 10 2002 - RuneQuest Bison Raiders vs Mochbah Oasis Dwellers.
- March 8 2002 - Men With Brooms film review.
- November 19 2001 - Amiga Show and G20 Protests.
- September 24 2001 - Shaw Festival Trip.
- June 22 2001 - Dorval Island Vacation with Relatives.
- June 12 2001 - Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter - film review.
- February 23 2001 - Junkyard Wars TV Show Ideas.
- February 19 2001 - Hannibal, Thirteen Days, Larry's Party, Museum of Science and Technology, Laser Pointers.
- December 24 2000 - Alex's List of Books for 2000.
- November 24 2000 - RuneQuest Cleansed One Scenario 2.
- November 12 2000 - RuneQuest Mice Broo Adventure.
- October 24 2000 - Best in Show film, Short Films on the Internet.
- October 14 2000 - King of Dragon Pass, Null RuneQuest Game, Carleton University School of Computer Science 20th Aniversary.
- October 4 2000 - Dorval Island Cottage Closing, Dell XPi Laptop & Trudeau Funeral Train.
- September 24 2000 - Shaw Festival Trip 2000.
- August 4 2000 - Space Cowboys Film Review.
- July 25 2000 - RuneQuest Treasure Making Story, Westgate Closed.
- June 21 2000 - RuneQuest Cattle Raid Story.
- June 16 2000 - Review of Titan AE (After Earth) Animated Film.
- May 30 2000 - RuneQuest and MPEG Video File Compression.
- May 19 2000 - A review of the play An Acre of Time at the GCTC.
- March 7 2000 - Finished archiving the Apple II, after filling many boxes!
- February 4 2000 - Start Apple II disk image to files utility.
- January 23 2000 - Start porting Apple II disk transfer utility to Amiga.
- January 9 2000 - Start writing November 10 web page, takes a week!
- December 23 1999 - Artech Christmas party & Sega Dreamcast gift.
- December 16 1999 - First day of the Sabbatical.
- November 10 1999 - Visiting Relatives in Vancouver.
- October 12 1999 - Travels with My Aunt: A Play and Cottage Closing.
- September 7 1999 - Apple ][ Archiving.
- May 22 1999 - Prince of Egypt, Shaw Festival Trip, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
- March 21 1999 - Best of Bugs Bunny, RuneQuest, GCTC.
- March 14 1999 - Wing Commander Film Review.
- February 23 1999 - Feverish Influenza and Phoenix Gaming Place.
- February 9 1999 - League of Nathans play review.
- October 5 1998 - Five busy days at the Ottawa International Animation Festival.
- September 21 1998 - Visit Yoda at Kitchener, Playdium.
- August 31 1998 - CPU Bach, Captain Quazar, toilet water line burst.
- August 24 1998 - Saw Saving Private Ryan.
- August 16 1998 - Car trip to Dorval Island Pot Luck dinner.
- July 29 1998 - Shaw Festival, Mulan, and more plays.
- June 21 1998 - Dorval Island Chores.
- May 17 1998 - Dorval Island Cottage Opening.
- January 1 1998 - The Postman Film Review.
- November 26 1997 - Anastasia Film Review.
- November 16 1997 - Assembled cold room full of IKEA Sten shelves.
- November 15 1997 - First heavy snow shovelling event of the season.
- November 9 1997 - Mr. Bean Movie, RuneQuest & Starship Troopers.
- November 2 1997 - Halloween Statistics & Arcadia Play.
- July 21 1997 - Dorval Island, Asterix & Disney World.
- June 8 1997 - RuneQuest & Reading & Building.
- May 18 1997 - Lucky Lady Play at GCTC.
- March 8 1997 - Moving the Amiga & Cleaning Up.
- Feburary 5 1997 - Snow Shovelling & TV Repairs.
- January 21 1997 - Role Playing Games Weekend.
- December 29 1996 - Micro Cosmos Film Review.
- November 19 1996 - Weekend Barbeque and Space Jam Film.
- October 7 1996 - Ottawa International Animation Festival.
- September 26 1996 - Quantum Fireball SCSI Story.
- September 3 1996 - Amiga Upgrade and IMAX Special Effects.
- August 28 1996 - Dorval Island Windy Visit.
- August 6 1996 - Soggy Hunchback & Matilda film reviews.
- July 21 1996 - Reading Week on Dorval Island.
- July 14 1996 - A quiet week, lots of SF books read.
- July 3 1996 - Independence Day 4 and Rainy Trip.
- June 24 1996 - RuneQuest, Random250, Il Mostro film summary.
- June 17 1996 - A Quiet Weekend (VFS Starts).
- June 3 1996 - Deathly scary weekend, Dragonheart movie.
- May 27 1996 - RuneQuest and Internet Setup for the Amiga.
- May 5 1996 - Dorval Island Cottage Opening.
- April 28 1996 - Just digging dirt, playing Amiga video Murder game.
- April 21 1996 - James and The Giant Peach film review.
About The Lone Star Gang
The Lone Star Gang is a group of people who meet regularly at The Lone Star
Cafe for lunch. Most of them work in various Ottawa high technology companies,
mostly ones that do object oriented programming. Another common background
element is a few years spent at that Smalltalk hotbed, the School of Computer Science at Carleton
Copyright © 2023 by Alexander G. M. Smith.
Weekend Reports Sound